Friction bearing type pin-and-block universal joints from Ruland are designed for applications with moderate-to-high-torque requirements in a wide variety of industries. Also called cardan joints or pin-and-block universal joints, they are manufactured from alloy steel for high strength or stainless steel for better corrosion resistance. They are comprised of precision machined, selectively heat-treated and ground components (yokes, pins and blocks) to maximize performance and service life. Single plain bearing universal joints are best suited for space constrained applications and are capable of angular misalignment up to 45°, significantly more than commodity style single u-joints. Double u-joints are better suited for applications with a wide distance between shafts or requiring angular misalignment up to 90°.
Ruland friction universal joints are available in OD sizes ranging from 3/8” to 4” in bore sizes ranging from 3/16” to 2” or 5mm to 35mm. They can have finished bores with or without keyways or machinable bores allowing the user to make custom sizes or geometries. All bore configurations can include a set screw.
Needle-bearing universal joints from Ruland are designed for applications with increased speeds, low-to-moderate loads and requirements for extended service life in industries such as medical, packaging, and robotics. Also called cardan joints, they are comprised of high-quality needle-roller bearings, precision machined trunnions with hardened and ground journals and a choice of alloy or stainless-steel yokes for reduced friction and increased performance in applications requiring precision and an extended service life. The needle bearings are pre-lubricated and require no maintenance, reducing machine downtime and increasing service life. Most u-joints include dust seals for the bearings.
Needle-bearing universal joints are available with stainless steel yokes for better corrosion resistance. Boots are recommended for corrosive, washdown or sanitary applications as the trunnions and bearings are alloy steel. Bores can be customized for blind configuration, preventing shaft penetration into the center joint components and providing added protection against contamination.
Ruland needle-bearing universal joints are available in OD sizes ranging from 3/4” to 2” a plain bore or bore w/ keyway in sizes from 3/8” to 1” or 8mm to 25mm. All bore types are available with a single set screw.
Boot cover kits protect the universal joint from unwanted contaminants such as dust and can be packed with grease for lubrication retention. Boot kits come with a pair of zip ties that seat into grooves on each yoke of the universal joint to ensure a tight seal. Boots are made of Nitrile for durability and abrasion resistance, helping to protect the boot from being damaged and grease leaking out or contaminants entering the joint. Nitrile also has high resistance to petroleum-based oils and fuels, silicone greases, hydraulic fluids, water, and alcohol which are commonly present in operating environments where this universal joint is used.
- Standard parts manufactured from higher-grade alloy than typical industrial grade models, for durability and performance.
- Components are precision machined, selectively heat treated and ground for higher strength, greater accuracy, wear resistance, longer life and increased performance in demanding applications.
- Pin-and-block joints for high torque capacity.
- Needle bearing joints for high RPM and extended service life.
- Misalignment angles up to 45° for single cardan and 90° for double cardan.
- Can accommodate for angular, parallel or axial misalignment.
- Available in alloy steel for high torque capacity and stainless steel for better corrosion resistance.
- All styles available with boots for reduced maintenance or sanitary environments.
- Manufactured in the United States by Belden Universal for strict control of processes.
- RoHS compliance available upon request.