Shaft Collars as Mechanical Stops
Shaft collars from Ruland are commonly used as mechanical stops on cylinders and actuators where precise control of motion is critical. They have tightly controlled face to bore perpendicularity for increased performance in impact applications. Fastening hardware tests above industry standards for maximum torque capabilities and holding power.
- Tightly controlled face to bore perpendicularity for proper alignment of mating components.
- Fastening hardware tests above industry standards for maximum torque capabilities.
- Machined to a fine burr free finish.
- Two-piece styles are mated throughout the manufacturing process for proper fit and alignment.
- RoHS3 and REACH compliant.
- Carefully made in our Marlborough, Massachusetts factory and available for immediate delivery.
- and shaft collars from Ruland are well suited for mechanical stop applications as they distribute compressive forces evenly around the shaft for a tight fit and improved holding power. They have tightly controlled face to bore perpendicularity (TIR of ≤ .002” / .05mm) which is critical when the collar is used as a load-bearing face to ensure even distribution of forces in impact situations. High TIR causes uneven loading and can result in the collar incrementally slipping on the shaft leading to loss of positioning. Two-piece styles offer increased holding power and are mated throughout the manufacturing process for proper fit and alignment. Since the two pieces come apart completely they can also be installed on an undercut shaft for critical or conditions.
Shaft collars from Ruland have carefully selected fastening hardware that tests beyond industry standards for maximum torque capabilities. Steel shaft collars undergo Ruland’s proprietary black oxide process providing corrosion protection and ensuring a smooth screw installation to increase the transfer of clamping forces from the screw to the collar/shaft interface while preventing stick-slip. This allows for proper and consistent seating of the screw which is a critical factor in shaft collar performance. The use of premium materials ensures full utilization of available screw torque without shaft collar deformation under maximum load conditions. Ruland shaft collars are manufactured from bar stock sourced from select North American mills and available in 1215 lead-free steel, 303 and 316 stainless steel, 2024 aluminum, titanium, and engineered plastic.